When all was said and done, Ceribell Inc. took home the ultimate prize at the Medical Design Excellence Awards ceremony. The Mountain View, CA-based company won best-in-show for the Ceribell Rapid Response EEG.
The device consists of a disposable headband and a mobile recorder that acquires and transmits data to a HIPAA compliant cloud portal for a specialist to review the patient's EEG from anywhere.
“We’re excited that people are as enthusiastic about the technology as we are," Brad Bachedler, Principal Engineer at Ceribell, told MD+DI.
Ceribell originally won FDA clearance for the technology in 2017.
“From my perspective as an engineer this technology has made a huge impact in how to rapidly be able to diagnose and treat seizures,” Bachedler said. “Currently it takes hours or longer for a clinician to treat it, so the time for treatment is really compressed.”
Due to limitations with current EEG systems which can take hours to days, clinicians are expected to treat patients with a lack of information which leads to both overtreatment and undertreatment. This is costly to the healthcare system and puts patients at risk for long-term brain damage or even death.
“There are some other things in the pipeline that we’ll be sharing later on,” Bachedler said.
The MDEAs accept entries from companies and individuals involved in the design, engineering, manufacturing, or distribution of finished medical devices. Winners are chosen by a panel of jurors made up of clinicians, engineers, and designers who carefully review all product submissions and narrow them down to a maximum of six finalists in each category. From there, jurors vote whether to award a bronze, silver, and gold award in each category, as well as select an overall best-in-show winner.
The 2019 MDEA winners include:
Digital Health Products and Mobile Medical Apps
- Gold: FreeStyle Libre – Abbott
- Silver: Peerbridge Cor – Peerbridge Health
- Bronze: Pulm Ex – Level Ex
Drug-Delivery and Combination Products:
- Gold: BYDUREON BCise – AstraZeneca
- Silver: clEARdropper – AJB LLC
- Bronze: Eluvia Drug Eluting Vascular Stent – Boston Scientific Corporation
ER and OR Tools, Equipment, and Supplies
- Gold: The CrossBow Fascial Closure System with Adaptor – Suture Ease Inc.
- Silver: The MOSES Holmium Laser Technology – Lumenis Ltd.
- Bronze: The Levita Magnetic Surgical System – Levita Magnetics
Gastrointestinal and Genitourinary Devices
- Silver: LithoVue Empower Retrieval Deployment Device – Boston Scientific Corporation
Implant and Tissue-Replacement Products
- Gold: Genesys Spine AIS-C Stand Alone System – Genesys Spine
- Silver: EXPEDIUM – DePuy Synthes/J&J Medical Devices Companies
- Bronze: The AiO Block and MDT – United Orthopedic Corporation
NonSurgical Hospital Supplies and Equipment
- Gold: iLux Device – Tear Film Innovations, Inc.
- Silver: Ceribell Rapid Response EEG – Ceribell Inc.
- Bronze: SkinPen – Bellus Medical
Over-the-Counter and Self-Care Products
- Gold: Elvie Pump – Elvie
- Silver: Dr. Brown's Specialty Feeding System – Handi-Craft Company
- Bronze: Lumin Bullet – 3B Medical Inc.
Radiological, Imaging, and Electromechanical Devices
- Gold: LessRay – NuVasive
- Silver: Valeda Light Delivery System – LumiThera
- Bronze: The WalterLorenz Surgical Assist Arm – Zimmer Biomet
Testing and Diagnostic Products and Systems
- Gold: Ceribell Rapid Response EEG – Ceribell Inc.
- Silver: Dexcom G6 CGM System – Dexcom
- Bronze: PIVO – Velano Vascular
- Bronze: VENTANA DP 200 – Roche Tissue Diagnostics
Best in Show
- Ceribell Rapid Response EEG – Ceribell Inc.
MD+DI Readers’ Choice
- gammaCore Sapphire – electroCore Inc.
The 2019 MDEA are sponsored by Phillips-Medisize.