Twenty-one products were honored with gold awards at the Medical Design Excellence Awards ceremony in June at the Medical Design & Manufacturing East show in New York City. Gold awards represent the highest level of achievement in terms of medical product design and contribution to healthcare.
The gold winners are
- Cool-Cap neonatal head-cooling system, made by Olympic Medical Corp. (Seattle).
- Easypod subcutaneous injection device, made by Merck Serono International SA (Geneva, Switzerland).
- EtchMaster dental air abrasive etching instrument, made by Groman Inc. (Margate, FL).
- Gynecare TVT Secur system for treating stress urinary incontinence, made by Ethicon Inc., a Johnson & Johnson company (Somerville, NJ).
- Halo360 esophogeal tissue ablation system, made by Bârrx Medical Inc. (Sunnyvale, CA).
- Impella 2.5 circulatory support system, made by Abiomed Inc. (Danvers, MA).
- Mammotome MR breast biopsy system, made by Ethicon Endo-Surgery, a Johnson & Johnson company (Blue Ash, OH).
- Ness L300 leg neuroprosthesis, made by Ness Ltd. (Ra'anana, Israel).
- OrthoGlide medial knee implant, made by Advanced Bio Surfaces (Minnetonka, MN).
- Ospol dental implant system packaging, made by Ospol AB (Malmö, Sweden).
- Pascal photocoagulator, made by OptiMedica (Santa Clara, CA).
- Piccolo Xpress chemistry analyzer, made by Abaxis Inc. (Union City, CA).
- Pinnacle total parenteral nutrition management system, made by B. Braun Medical Inc. (Bethlehem, PA).
- Proprio Foot motor-powered prosthesis, made by Ossur (Reykjavik, Iceland).
- RT Vue retinal imaging system, made by Optovue Inc. (Fremont, CA).
- Stryker Precision Saw, made by Stryker Instruments (Kalamazoo, MI).
- Symbiq infusion system, made by Hospira Inc. (Lake Forest, IL).
- Symphony one-touch histology slide preparation system, made by Ventana Medical Systems Inc. (Tucson, AZ).
- Thermoplastic Drill Template Set, made by Institut Straumann AG (Basel, Switzerland).
- Vest airway clearance system, Model 205, made by Hill-Rom Company, Inc. (Charleston, SC).
- Vicks Forehead thermometer, made by Kaz Inc. (New York City).
Also at the ceremony, 14 products received silver awards.