Covestro will exhibit materials for healthcare applications including Makrolon RE for healthcare in Booth #2221 at MD&M West April 12-14, 2022, in Anaheim, CA. Covestro Makrolon RE polycarbonate grades have a low carbon footprint thanks to the use of renewable electricity, as well as raw materials produced from mass-balanced bio-waste and residues, the company shared in a news release.
Makrolon RE expands the company’s overall materials portfolio for diverse healthcare uses, which include:
- Polycarbonate resins and blends: Covestro’s broad portfolio including Makrolon and Makroblend offer strength and durability for drug delivery devices, dental applications, advanced injection devices, medical device housings, and more – to withstand everyday use and chemical interaction.
- Polyurethane raw materials and adhesives: Baymedix polyurethane adhesive and foam components provide breathability and low trauma removal in wound care products along with absorption features. Skin-friendly adhesive systems and thermoformable foams for electronic embedding are also available for wearables.
- Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU) films and resins: Platilon TPU films offer breathable applications for wound dressing and prevention, as well as wearable patches. Texin Rx TPU resins provide flexibility and strength for applications such as medical tubing and dental applications, offering resistance to cleaning agents and bacteria.
Several applications of these materials will be on display at MD&M West, including:
- Makrolon RE for Healthcare: Covestro will highlight Makrolon RE – a drop-in, low carbon footprint, medical-grade polycarbonate solution.
- Drug Delivery demonstrator: Materials from Covestro’s line of medical-grade polycarbonates come together to form an innovative and sustainable drug delivery device.
- PharmaJet: Covestro and PharmaJet team up to advance needle-free injection using Makrolon, which withstands gamma and ethylene oxide sterilization in a device that eliminates needle-stick injuries and can be used for COVID-19 vaccinations.
- SmartGuard: Covestro and SmartGuard team up to provide restful sleep for those who involuntarily grind their teeth by employing Makrolon 2858 given its strength, softness, and biocompatibility.
- Medical Device Housings and Hardware: Durable Makrolon and Makroblend materials offer improved disinfectant resistance and next-generation flame retardancy with skin contact biocompatibility.