The Medical Design Excellence Awards competition is the medical technology industry's premier awards program. Since 1998, the MDEAs have recognized achievements in medical product design and engineering that improve the quality of healthcare delivery and accessibility.
Each year, a panel of jurors comprised of designers, engineers, and clinicians awards bronze, silver, gold, and best-in-show honors to the most innovative products on the market in eleven categories. Click on the following links to view the 2021 finalists:
1. Cardiovascular Devices — the category includes devices and equipment used to diagnose or treat conditions of the heart and circulatory system.
2. Digital Health Products and Mobile Medical Apps — devices or applications that use digital technologies to monitor patients, deliver healthcare, or make medicine more personalized. They may incorporate either artificial intelligence or algorithms to help treat or monitor a patient's condition.
3. Drug-Delivery and Combination Products — including pre-filled syringes, misting devices, dry powder inhalers, patches, pouches, or combination implants with biologic agents, etc.
4. ER and OR Tools, Equipment, and Supplies — including critical care, general surgery, plastic surgery, and anesthesiology products.
5. Gastrointestinal and Genitourinary Devices — devices and equipment such as gastrological, urological, gynecological, and obstetric devices.
6. Implant and Tissue-Replacement Products — including cochlear, corneal, orthopedic, neurological, and tissue implants and instruments.
7. Nonsurgical Hospital Supplies and Equipment — including general medical equipment and supplies used in hospitals and doctor's offices, such as stethoscopes, blood lancets, medical carts, ventilators, hospital beds, blood pressure monitors, etc.
8. Over-the-Counter and Self-Care Devices — the category includes a wide assortment of treatments available to patients without a prescription or that allow patients to monitor, treat, or help prevent a health condition without assistance from a clinician or other healthcare professional.
9. Radiological, Imaging, and Electromechanical Devices — products that use medical radiation, imaging, or an electromechanically powered system to diagnose or treat diseases.
10. Rehabilitation and Assistive-Technology Products — the category includes products such as wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, hearing aids, prosthetic devices, etc.
11. Testing and Diagnostic Products and Systems — including products that fall into FDA categories of chemistry, hematology, immunology, microbiology, pathology, and toxicology.
Please vote here for your choice for 2021 MD+DI Readers' Choice Winner. Voting closes on April 26, 2021.
Finalists will be celebrated and winners will be announced on Thursday, May 13, during the Medtech Design Summit 2021. The day-long webinar series will include panel discussions with finalists, announcements of winners in all 11 categories as well as Best in Show and MD+DI Readers’ Choice winners, and tech talks from trusted suppliers and service providers catering to the medical device and diagnostics industry on the products and services you need to bring the next breakthrough medtech innovation to life. We will also host a panel discussion with jurors from the 2021 MDEA program during which they will share insights about what technologies, features, and functional design elements caught their eye and separated the winners from the rest of the pack in this year’s competition.
Please plan to join us Thursday, May 13, 2021! Register here to attend this free webinar series.