Medical devices help a lot of people, but they also present challenges for hospitals. The Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI) surveyed healthcare technology management professional about the biggest difficulties they face in dealing with medical devices.
Here are some of the top challenges they identified:
- 72% say managing devices and systems on the IT network.
- 65% say integrating medical device data into EHRs.
- 50% say broken connectors.
- 50% say battery management.
- 49% say alarm management.
- 48% say maintaining infusion pump systems.
- 47% say cybersecurity.
- 44% say developing preventive maintenance strategies.
- 42% say incident reporting and investigations.
- 42% say personal medical devices brought in by patients.
—Jamie Hartford is MD+DI's managing editor.